Sigourney Square (1895) is a square block that was conceived with a simple “X” walk pattern connecting its four corners and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district on January 16, 1979. Sigourney Square was originally part of the old Town Farm area, a forgotten burial ground of forty-nine smallpox victims buried in 1872. In 1872 the City extended the street north beyond Ashley to Sargeant and named it Sigourney Street commemorating Lydia Sigourney of Hartford, “America’s first professional woman author”. The park hosts a splashpad, playscape, basketball courts and picnic tables.
Photo borrowed lovingly from the City of Hartford.