PARKING YOUR CAR
Who’s in charge of Parking?
- Private Owners and Operators: Nearly all of the 45 parking lots and garages in downtown Hartford are privately owned and operated. These lots and garages answer to the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
- The Hartford Parking Authority (HPA) operates the parking meters, but has very little to do with those privately owned lots/garages.
Good to know…
- FREEBIES: There is no charge for street parking from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, and all day every Saturday and Sunday.
- HOLIDAY PARKING: The on-street meters are enforced Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. including holidays unless otherwise announced. If you did not hear or see an announcement, it’s safe to say it’s an enforcement day.
- RUSH HOUR: There are a bunch of meters around town that are no parking from 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. and again from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. This is so they can open up more space during rush hour. It may drive you completely crazy when you’re looking for a spot during those hours, but when you’re trying to get in and out of downtown, it’s a great help.
- BEWARE: You may not get a ticket, but you might get towed: On street parking in bus lanes late at night is not a good idea, even though sometimes it looks like one.