Discovering Historic Main Street Hartford Walking Tour
Since its founding in 1636 when English settlers first laid out Hartford, Main Street has been lined with homes, churches, businesses and public institutions. Hartford, established along the Connecticut River, was divided by the Little River, which extended westward from the Connecticut. For much of the 18th and 19th centuries, the southern part of Main Street was primarily residential in nature, with single-family homes lining the street. The northern half of Main Street was more thickly settled. Many of Hartford’s retail businesses and public institutions were found alongside residences on Main Street north of the Little River. Developing from a market town to a leading manufacturing center, Hartford underwent significant changes in the second half of the 19th century. The Butler-McCook House & Garden is the only 18th century residence remaining on Main Street.
This tour of Main Street highlights the 18th, 19th and early 20th century buildings the Butlers and McCooks would have known so well.
This tour begins at the Butler-McCook House & Garden, 396 Main Street, in Hartford and proceeds north on Main Street along the east side of the street to the G. Fox Building, then crosses to the west side of Main Street at the intersection of Church and Main, returning south to the Butler-McCook House.
Parking available at the Amos Bull House at the back end of the Butler-McCook Garden, 59 S. Prospect Street, Hartford.
Wind: 7 MPH
Humidity: 75 %
Feels like: 53 °F