[su_heading size=”19″ align=”left”]Be a part of Hartford’s third annual PARK(ing) Day on Friday, September 18.[/su_heading]
PARK(ing) Day is an annual, worldwide event where artists, citizens and community groups transform metered parking spots into temporary public parks. Originally conceived by San Francisco’s Rebar Group, PARK(ing) Day has grown into a global phenomenon celebrated in more than 165 communities in 35 countries.
For this year’s PARK(ing) Day, the Greater Hartford Arts Council is putting out a call for creativity, inviting artists and organizations to submit design proposals that reimagine the city’s parking spaces. PARK(ing) spaces can include any art form: visual, dance, music or any creative medium. Looking for inspiration for your PARK(ing) space? Take a look at the gallery below, view a global gallery on Flickr, or view all Hartford photos from 2013 and 2014. Want to submit a proposal? You’ve got until August 14; details and eligibility requirements are listed below the photo gallery.
[su_heading size=”15″ align=”left”]Details & Eligibility[/su_heading]
Details: PARK(ing) Day takes place on Friday, September 18. Hartford PARKs will be open from 11 am – 3 pm.
Deadline: Proposals must be submitted by Friday, August 14, 2015. Artists and organizations whose proposals have been accepted will be notified no later than Friday, August 28, 2015.
Eligibility: Applicants must be located in the Greater Hartford Arts Council’s 34 town service area AND be a/an:
- individual artist,
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organization partnered with an individual artist as lead applicant,
- certified B-Corporation partnered with an individual artist as lead applicant, OR
- corporation partnered with an individual artist as lead applicant.
- Performances, such as music or spoken word, cannot include amplification.
- No goods or services can be promoted or sold during PARK(ing) Day.
Compensation & Materials Support:
- Each creative proposal selected will be awarded a $300 stipend. The individual artist must submit a W9 form for payment.
- Up to $200 for materials can be requested for each park. Artists are asked to provide an invoice and copies of receipts for reimbursement.
- KNOX, Inc. will provide green ground covering for parks.
- The Hartford Business Improvement District will work with the city of Hartford to reserve parking spots.
Apply: Interested in participating? Complete the Greater Hartford Arts Council’s PARK(ing) Day Application.
Questions: Contact Amanda Roy, Community Programs Manager at the Greater Hartford Arts Council, at (860) 525-8629.
Hartford’s PARK(ing) Day is organized by a partnership of civic organizations: the Greater Hartford Arts Council, the Hartford Business Improvement District and KNOX, Inc, Civic Mind, the iQuilt Plan and Connecticut’s Old State House. Additional support is provided by the City of Hartford, the Hartford Parking Authority, and the Hartford Police Department.